Business Crime & Fraud
If an allegation has been made against you or your company, you may need an adviser to work closely with you to recognise and advise on any potential defences or to mitigate against adverse outcomes resulting from prosecution in the criminal courts.
Our expert, Stephen Bennett has over 25 years’ experience of both defending and prosecuting all types of criminal offence. Stephen is one of only a handful of criminal defence solicitors experienced in the conduct of High Costs cases such as serious and complex fraud,money laundering, bribery, corruption and regulatory offences.
What can we offer?
- Engage with the investigating authority on matters relating to charge/caution and if appropriate bail.
- Negotiate with the CPS or other prosecuting authorities such as the Serious Fraud Office, Health and safety Executive, local authorities, trading standards offices, train operators, HMRC and the DWP regarding pleas or reduction of charges.
- All advocacy in the Magistrates Court including pleas in mitigation, applications for bail, trials and sentencing.
- Preparation of all cases in the Crown Court working with a strong network of experienced barristers.
- Appeals to the Court of Appeal either against conviction or sentence or both.
Examples of offences
- Insider Trading
- Fraud including all forms of false accounting.
- Environmental prosecutions
- VAT fraud
- Prosecution by Planning authorities (listed buildings and Tree preservation order offences)
- Money laundering
- Confiscation under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002