Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution
Judith is a Senior Associate at Gardner Leader in the Contested Probate and Property Litigation Teams.
Judith qualified as a Solicitor in 2009 and joined the Gardner Leader Litigation team. She has since specialised in Contested Probate and Property Litigation matters. During 2013 Judith commenced the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) course and won the LawNet national award for Young Lawyer of the Year the same year. Judith became a Senior Associate on July 1 2016.
Judith acts on behalf of charities of all sizes, including some large national charities. Judith deals extensively with trusts and inheritance issues including disputed Wills, Inheritance Act claims, undue influence, rectification of Wills and testamentary capacity issues. Judith acts on behalf of charities not only in respect of contested legacies, but also debt and property disputes.
Relevant Work Experience
- Acting on behalf of numerous charities advising on legacy issues, inappropriate executor conduct, validity of wills, and rectification of mistakes in wills.
- Defending against multiple claimants who brought individual claims against an estate worth in excess of £2 million, including, a proprietary estoppel claim, a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependants) Act 1975 and a testamentary capacity claim.
- Successfully defending a £1.1 million claim on behalf of two Defendants in the High Court of Justice which challenged the deceased’s lack of testamentary capacity (as a result of vascular dementia).
- Acting on behalf of landlord defending a claim issued by a tenant who is leasing commercial premises but disputing the terms of the proposed renewal of the lease.
- Advising a freeholder on a group request by leaseholders (pursuant to Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993) to extend their lease which concerns a residential block of apartments.
- Commenced study for Membership of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS);
- Institute of Legacy Management (ILM);
- Property Litigation Association; and
- Charity Law Association.
Blogs and Articles
Memberships and Professional Bodies
Qualified in 2009.