Partner, Head of the Family Team
T: 01635 508192
E: [email protected]
Seona is a Partner at Gardner Leader and Head of the Family team. She is based in the Newbury office.
Seona is a Specialist Child Care Lawyer. Seona acts for parents to represent them through the extremely difficult process of coping with Local Authority Care proceedings. Seona also represents children directly or via their Guardian who is appointed by CAFCASS. Seona does not represent Local Authorities.
Seona also has wide experience of the law relating to Family Breakdown, with a particular reputation in legal issues regarding children and their parents.
Where couples are separating, Seona uses her specialist experience and understanding of the law to help parents reach agreements on both the finances and the children with a focus on the family as a whole. If the couple have children, they will be the paramount consideration.
Family breakdown is difficult, so Seona actively promotes modern approaches including mediation and collaborative law which help preserve dignity as well as potentially reducing costs. Seona is very aware of the costs implications for couples separating and hopes to provide a bespoke, clear costs structure for clients.
In the recent Legal 500 (2016) rankings, the family team were highly regarded. They also commented that “Seona Myerscough is the key figure at Gardner Leader LLP”.
Relevant work experience
- Representing the child and Guardian in the Reported Case of  EWHC 270 (Fam)
- RE NL (A CHILD) (APPEAL: INTERIM CARE ORDER: FACTS & REASONS) (2014)
- Representing a Father within care proceedings, where the allegations were found not to support the removal of the children from the Parents care.
- Representing a young person aged 12 in care proceedings where the outcome was a safe return to her Father.
- Undertaking mediation where the couple, after over two years of separation, were able to reach an agreement without the need to progress to potentially expensive court proceedings.
- Representing extended family when applying for Special Guardianship Orders.
- A Member of the Law Society Child Care Panel and Family Law Panel.
- Qualified Mediator with FMA and is MIAMs trained.
- Qualified Collaborative Lawyer with Resolution.
- Chair of the Newbury CAB.
- Chair of the Newbury Contact Centre
- On the Management Committee of Berkshire Family Mediation.
- A member of Reading Family Mediation.
As well as blogging for the Halsbury Law Exchange, Seona also writes articles in the local press.
Blogs and Articles
- Seona Myerscough appeared on Share Radio on 5 December 2016 discussing the ONS figures on divorce released today (Monday 5th December 2016). You can listen to the interview here.
- Seona Myerscough also appears on BR FM (95.6FM) commenting on the ONS figures – see below.