Michael Axe is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution Team based in Maidenhead.
Michael is a senior litigator with over 15 years’ experience of resolving Commercial Disputes for his clients, with particular expertise in Professional Negligence claims, Franchising disputes, Intellectual Property disputes & Brand Protection, Director & Shareholder disputes, contentious Tax matters, Insurance disputes and Commercial Agency disputes.
His clients range from multinational corporations, PLCs and SMEs to high net-worth individuals involved in national and international commercial disputes. Michael is highly experienced in court proceedings and methods of alternative dispute resolution including mediation and various forms of arbitration. He has particular experience in cross-border contractual issues and international intellectual property rights (IPR) protection and enforcement.
Commercial Disputes Experience
Michael has a broad commercial practice with a number of specialisms. He acts in professional negligence claims, intellectual property disputes (including passing off claims), franchise disputes (on behalf of both franchisors and franchisees), tax disputes (against HMRC, UK Border Force and various other authorities), commercial agency disputes and a wide variety of insurance disputes. Michael is also regularly instructed in company disputes including shareholder claims and applications for the removal of company directors.
- Several claims involving breaches of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and FCA regulations in relation to regulated financial activities;
- Taking two cases to the Court of Appeal on points of law relating to the correct interpretation of legislation;
- An international IPR dispute between parties in Taiwan, USA, Finland and UK;
- Pursuing copyright infringement claims for an award-winning artist and boutique fashion designer;
- Pursuing trademark infringement proceedings for several well-known international luxury goods brand-owners;
- An international pharmaceutical dispute between parties in France, USA and the UK, involving an ICC arbitration;
- A dispute with UK Border Force over the need for an import permit under CITES;
- A dispute with HMRC over the classification of goods for import duty purposes;
- Pursuing a professional negligence claim against tax advisors arising from a failed Employer Funded Retirement Benefit Scheme;
- Pursuing a professional negligence claim against financial advisors in relation to pension investment advice, which also involved complex limitation issues;
- Pursuing professional negligence claims against various solicitors, including in relation to the drafting of an Asset Sale Agreement and Loan Agreements, the administration of a trust, and an under-settled litigation claim;
- Pursuing a professional negligence claim against tax advisors in relation to advice on the formation of an offshore trust;
- Pursuing various breach of warranty claims relating to sales of businesses;
- Defending various engineering disputes, including in relation to allegedly defective construction materials and marine engine parts.