Managing Partner, Corporate Commercial
T: 01635 508181
E: [email protected]
Managing Partner: 2011
Derek is the Managing Partner of Gardner Leader.
Derek joined Gardner Leader in 2005 as a partner in the firm’s Corporate and Commercial team. He became Managing Partner in May 2011.
Although the majority of Derek’s time is now devoted to management and strategy as the firm continues to grow, his expertise is still available to clients across a range of corporate and commercial issues. Derek enjoys helping businesses and their owners achieve their objectives. This might be the formation or acquisition of a business, or its sale. Business clients also turn to Derek for advice on the things that keep businesses running smoothly – well-drafted commercial contracts, shareholder or partnership agreements, confidentiality agreements (‘NDAs’) and terms of business. Derek has also handled a large number of venture capital and private equity transactions for fund managers.
In his role as Managing Partner, Derek takes the lead in developing and implementing our strategy for growth. He chairs our partners’ and board meetings, and works closely with the rest of the team to ensure that we know what we need to do and have the resources to do it.
Relevant work experience
Some of Derek’s recent work includes the following:
- Advising a shareholder in a long-running and difficult family shareholder dispute
- Acting as lead adviser in the merger of two photography companies.
- Advising minority shareholders in the sale of their interest in a company
- Advising on various agreements relating to a major TV drama series
- Negotiating the terms of a long term supply agreement for an IT company contracting with a major global provider
- Derek is a member of the Institute of Directors.
- He has also been a school governor, a trustee of various charities and a non-executive director.
Blogs and Articles