Partner and Head of Dispute Resolution
Alastair is a Partner and Head of the Dispute Resolution team.
Alastair has gained considerable experience in trusts, probate and inheritance matters since qualifying 1998, including disputed Wills, claims to remove Executors or Trustees, Breach of Trust cases and Inheritance Act claims. Alastair regularly acts for charities, executors and beneficiaries in claims found in the Court of Protection and the High Court. He offers charities clarity of thought and is well versed in finding practical solutions to intractable problems. Alastair also has experience in advising other not for profit organisation on all areas of litigation including independent schools.
Alastair also handles a wide range of property-related disputes, particularly those involving commercial property, including rent arrears claims, possession cases, claims for breaches of covenant, dilapidations claims and renewal proceedings.
Inheritance Disputes Experience
- Acting for multiple beneficiaries in proceedings to remove a lay executor. Alastair was able to prove fraudulent activities by the lay executor and recovered costs and estate monies from the lay executor.
- Bringing a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 and obtaining settlement without the need to issue proceedings.
- Acting for three beneficiaries in defending a Proprietary Estoppel claim brought by a family member concerning the family farm.
- Acting for a number of charities in defending a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Acting for Partners in a Partnership dispute concerning to a multi-million family business
- Acting for individuals in a complex land dispute concerning High Court injunctive proceedings and a rectification claim.
Legal Directories and Awards
Alastair was praised in the 2019 Legal 500 rankings as a Leading Individual for contentious trusts and probate and “has a thorough knowledge of the law in this technically complex area, but also understands the commercial realities of the case and the client’s practical requirements, enabling him to give the best possible advice”. Alastair was also recommended for charities and not-for-profit as the practice is “excellent in all areas”, with clients singling out Alastair for his “prompt responses and understanding of clients’ needs – he communicates in plain English and keeps clients updated”.
Memberships and Professional Bodies
- Charity Law Association
- Institute of Legacy Management
- Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists.
Qualified in 1998.